Advanced Search

I'm taking a break from this forum. I may update for my own interest later or just save links and material for my own interest.

Author Topic: Violence Against Women In South Korea  (Read 5131 times)

July 17, 2018, 05:43:55 PM
Read 5131 times

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog: Music, Exercise, Reading, & Cults
Violence Against Women In South Korea
« on: July 17, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
This thread was started on my old site on June 27, 2016. This is one of the threads I wanted to continue after closing my old site in July of 2018. For more information about that closure, please visit my blog post on the subject.

The topic of violence against women in Korea has been in the media a lot of late due unfortunately to a spate of such crimes. Like this thread here which contains a collection of articles that explore the issue of how Korean sex offenders are monitored after release from jail, I would like to offer a similar collections of articles and opinion pieces. I have been saving links for the past couple of months, and I also have a small collection of links to older related articles. And in the process of posting these, I've come across more than a few more.

"Stranger Things" felt like a good idea for a name for my new site, but of course sexual abuse is far from unusual and not always at the "bizarre" end of the spectrum of crimes committed. Having said that, there are certainly some articles below that describe crimes that can be considered strange and downright bizarre.

Wikipedia Page of Kwon In-suk

The news that Kwon had sued regarding her sexual abuse would "rock Korean society for months. It was shocking that a young woman would go public with an accusation that was more likely to damage her own reputation than that of the accused." Traditionally, sexual and physical abuse was considered an "unspeakable experience," but Kwon's public testimony helped reframe the issue of sexual abuse in South Korea by "recasting her experience from the 'shame of the victim' to the 'crime of the perpetrator." The acts of sexual abuse as described by Kwon led to the creation of the KWAU which would influence Korean politics in the 1990s.

July 20: South Korea Disperses Protest of Alleged Police Abuse (LA Times)

Aug. 30: South Korea Posts Sex Offenders List on Net (The Register)

July 8: Diplomat’s Sex Assault Prompts an Apology (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Aug. 25: Male Middle-Rank Managers Biggest Sexual Harassment Offenders (The Chosun Ilbo)

Oct. 10: Protect the victims of Crime (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Oct. 12: Feminist Event Aimed at Making Streets Safer (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Dec. 6: Headless, Legless Body Found on Suwon Hiking Trail (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Dec. 12: Outrage Sparked by Serial Rape Case (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Dec. 13: Korean-Chinese Man Confesses to Suwon Torso Murder (Yonhap News)

July 15: Judge Deals Stern Term for Train Assault (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Oct. 31: Activist Alleges Korea’s Sex Shame

Sept. The Process of Change in the Sexual Attitudes of Sexual Offenders in Korea (Asian Nursing Research)

May 1: Nike Slaps Ban on Gyeonggi Council Members (The Korea Times)

b]July 6:[/b] Violence Against Women (Jason Lim for The Korea Times)
There are several messages that this judgment sends to victims of domestic violence, all of them devastating: One, domestic violence is a shameful topic that should be kept in the home; two, even if you are beaten, shut up and suffer in silence; three, it's not dignified to reveal that you are a victim of domestic violence; four, you are partly to blame in any case.

Aug. 3: Most Sex Crimes Happen on Subway Line No. 2 (Chosun Ilbo)

Oct. 2: Brutal Rape of 8 Year Old Has Nation Up in Arms (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Oct. 8: Teachers Get Light Punishment Over Sexual Violence (The Korea Times)

Dec. 18: South Korea: Reaction Against Child Sexual Offenders (The Law Library Of Congress)

Aug. 20: South Korea: Multiple Legislative Actions Against Sex Crimes (The Law Library of Congress)

Aug. 26: Violent Crimes on Upward Curve (The Korea Times)

June 20: Sexual Assault in Seoul on Rapid Rise (The 3 Wise Monkeys)

Oct. 25: South Korean Man Sentenced in Rape of US Soldier (Stars & Stripes)

Oct. 28: South Korea Toughens Laws Against Sex Crimes (CNS News)

Dec. 19: Is Punishment for Sex Crime Too Lenient? (The Korea Herald)

Jan. 9: From Sheriffs to CCTV, Seoul Targets Perverts on Subway (Chosun Ilbo)

Feb. 2: Workplaces No Exception to Rampant Bullying (The Chosun Ilbo)

April 10: Suwon Suspect a Serial Killer? (Chosun Ilbo)

April 11: Suspect in Suwon may be a Drifting Serial Killer (Korea JoongAng Daily)

May 5: Is Domestic Violence Taken Seriously in Korea? (Kim Hee-sun for The Korea Herald)

May 8: Many Schoolkids Complain of Sexual Harassment (The Chosun Ilbo)

May 9: Soldier Gets 6 Years For Raping South Korean Teen (Stars & Stripes)

May 17: US Forces Korea Soldier Appeals Rape Conviction (Stars & Stripes)

June 27: Taekwondo Academy Director Detained for Rape of Pupils (Korea Bang)

Sept. 3: Drunk Man Kidnaps, Rapes & Leaves Girl with Internal Injuries (Korea Bang)

Oct. 10: Soldier convicted of South Korea rape claims unfair treatment (Stars & Stripes)

January 30: Koreans Drive Demand for Child Prostitution in Southeast Asia (The Korea Times)

April 23: Raped & Alone In A Foreign Land (The Korea Herald)
In 2011, 22,034 rapes were reported, according to the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office. Of those, 18,591 cases resulted in arrests with a total of 18,880 offenders being convicted. However, only 12 percent of those found guilty, or 2,289, were sentenced to jail time.

It is impossible to know the true number of victims in Korea, let alone the number of foreign victims, as many who are attacked ― Korean or foreign ― do not report the crime. Based on a 2010 survey by the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, it is believed that the sexual crime reporting rate in Korea is about 10 percent.

May 16: Top Court Recognizes Marital Rape as Crime for First Time (Yonhap News)

June 11: Sexual Harassment Rampant Among Social Leaders (The Korea Herald)

June 14: Korean Law on Rape (Korean Law Guru)

August 2: 2 Out Of 3 Women Feel Unsafe From Sex Crimes (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 1: Practicing Feminism in South Korea: The Women’s Movement Against Sexual Violence (Kyungja Jung - Available from Amazon - Google Books has Excerpts)

Oct. 25: SK Struggles to Confront Stigma of Sexual Assaults (Jason Strother for The Wall St. Journal)

April 4: Father Kills Suspect in Daughter’s Rape (Korea Bang)

April 24: Redefining Rape in SK (Daniel Fielder for The Korea Herald)

July 18: Drunken Navy Captain Sacked for Sexual Assault (The Korea Times)

Aug. 14: Korean Professor Arrested for Groping Woman on Plane (Chosun Ilbo)

Aug. 18: Jeju Prosecutor Held for Flashing (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Nov. 13: Growing Number of Sex Crimes by South Korea’s Power Elite (Hankyoreh)

Dec. 1: Bosses at Seoul Zoo Acted Like Beasts (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Jan. 22: Fighting Violence Against Women: Making Seoul a Safer City For Women Project (Seoul Station)

Feb. 16: Professor Accused of Sexually Abusing Student (The Korea Herald)

Feb. 20: Singer & Producer Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison for Raping a Teenager (All K-Pop)

March 5: Korea Educates Families of Juvenile Sex Offenders (The Korea Herald)

May 21: Sexual Harassment on Campus (The Korea Times)

July 9: Dating Abuse Rampant Yet Hushed in Korea (The Korea Herald)

August 7: Seoul Toughens on School Sex Violence (The Korea Herald)

August 31: Teachers Face Dismissal Over Sexual Abuse Claims (The Korea Times)

August 9: Sex Crimes at Schools Left Unchecked (The Korea Herald)

August 12: Rapist Flees Hospital and Attacks One More Victim (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Sept. 18: Are Crimes Against Women Unstoppable? (Chosun Ilbo)

Sept. 29: Korean Man Brutally Beats Woman But Onlookers Do Nothing (The Korea Observer)

Oct. 2: Professor Blasted for Wanting Students to Work at Daughter's Wedding (The Korea Times)

Oct. 5: High Schooler Arrested Over Alleged Rape of Elementary School Student (The Korea Times)

Oct. 11: The Source of Sexism in SK (Expose)

Oct. 30: Sexism in SK is More Serious Than You Might Think (The Typewriter)

Dec. 2: Medical Student Faces Expulsion for Beating up Girlfriend (The Korea Times)

Dec. 9: Soldier Awarded for Capturing Sex Offender (The Korea Times)

Jan. 1: 159 Women Missing in Suwon (The Korea Times)

Jan. 6: Police Want Women to Take Extra Precautions After 159 Women Go Missing in Suwon (ROK Drop)

Jan. 22: Women Still Wary of Reporting Sexual Harassment (Chosun Ilbo)

Feb. 29: Zolpidem Most Frequently Used Date Rape Drug in Korea (The Korea Herald)

March 30: Korea’s Justice System Fails Foreign Victims of Rape (The Korea Herald)

April 1: Korean Police Rebut Australian Woman's Claims About Rape Case (All K-Pop News)

April 3: Incest Victims Fight Back Against Abusers in SK (The Korea Herald)

April 4: S. Korea's Sexual Assault Aftercare has Improved But Challenges Remain (Yonhap News)

April 5: Police's Open Letter to Rape Victim Sparks Fury (The Korea Herald)
Public Battle Over SK Rape Claim (BBC)

April 6: 1 in 10 Women Sexually Harassed at Work (Chosun Ilbo)

April 7: Apologize For Posting Alleged Rape Victim's Records (Yonhap News)

April 17: Korean Police Deny Wrongdoing In Australian Airdre Mattner’s Rape Investigation (Korea FM Podcast with Chance Dorland)

April 20: Teenagers Gang-Rape Middle School Girl (The Korea Herald)
6 South Korean Middle School teens Arrested for Gang Rape of Elementary Student (Koogle)

April 22: Professor Indicted Over Alleged Attempted Rape (The Korea Times)

April 24: Taxi Driver Gets 3 Years for Sexually Assaulting Mentally Disabled Passenger (The Korea Herald)

April 25: K-pop’s Gross Double Standard For Women (David Volodzko for PRI)
Common Misconceptions about Korean Law on Rape (Korean Law Guru)

May 3: Taxi Driver Gets Suspended Sentence For Raping Thai Woman (The Korea Times)
"The justice recognized the sentence of the first trial was made in light of the fact that the victim was deeply traumatized and sexually ashamed by the incident," the judge in the second trial said. "The second trial, however, changed the sentence by suspending it for four years on the basis that the victim had agreed with the criminal not to punish him."

May 6: Mother Convicted of Assisting Rape of Daughter (Korea Times)

May 9: Sex Crime & The South Korean Media (The Korea Herald)

May 16: Some Disturbing Numbers On % of Female Homicide Victims in South Korea (3 Wise Monkeys)

May 17: Korean Law on Rape: Understanding the ‘Lack of Consent’ Requirement (Korean Law Guru)

May 19: Korean Women Respond to Gangnam Murder Case (The Korea Herald)

May 20: Murder Becomes Symbol of Korean Misogyny (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Gangnam Murderer Says He Killed Because Women Have Always Ignored Him (The Hankyoreh)

May 21: Let's Talk About the Toxic Way South Korea Is Handling its Rape Problem (Royce Kurmelovs for Vice)
Don’t Claim That The Gangnam Murder Was Somehow Random (Moon Kang Hyung-joon for The Hankyoreh)
Nearly every one of the female students in their twenties and thirties that I’ve met in the classroom, no matter their frame, has experienced violence at some point for being a woman. It ranges from abusive behavior on buses and subways to attempted rapes in alleyways, from drunken fisticuffs to vengeance from spurned boyfriends. If they survived the day unscathed, it was simply because luck was on their side.

May 23: Korean Women Speak Out On Gender Violence (The Korea Herald)
Members of Right-Wing Groups Trying to Scuttle Commemoration of Murder Victim (The Hankyoreh)
I Am Part of the Problem & I Want to Talk About It (The Korean Foreigner)
Gangnam Murder Spurs Calls for Hate Crime Law (The Korea Herald)
Raped Australian Says South Korea Ignores Rape of Foreign Women (International Business Times)
I Did It Because Women Have Always Ignored Me: The Gangnam Murder & Misogyny In Korea (Bust - Date Unknown?)

May 24: Gender War Intensifies Amid Mourning for Murder Victim (The Korea Herald)

May 25: Date Rape Prevalent Among College Students (The Korea Herald)
Not Random At All (Korea JoongAng Daily)

May 27: Date Rapist Often Repeat Offenders (The Chosun Ilbo)
Country Where Rape of Foreign Women is Swept Under Carpet (News Ltd)

May 31: Pastor Gets 3 Years For Raping Churchgoer (The Korea Herald)
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog

July 17, 2018, 05:44:44 PM
Reply #1

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Violence Against Women In South Korea
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »
2016 Continued
June 1: Swedish Tourist Gang Raped in Seoul (The Korea Times)
Women's Groups Slam Crime Prevention Plan (The Korea Herald)
Comedian Denies Attempted Rape (The Korea Times)

June 2: Rosie Batty Addresses South Korean Women Fighting Back Against Violence (Joseph Kim for ABC Australia)

June 6: Renata Salecl: Gangnam Murder Could be an Opportunity for South Korean Society (The Hankyoreh)
It’s possible that each of these South Korean women has regularly suffered pressure, intimidation, humiliation or physical assault on the job or in power relationships at home. The murder may have been a trigger, just as a fatal police shooting of a young black man in St. Louis triggered a resistance campaign against racism. If I were a man, I think I would be a little shocked to hear what women are saying. Of course, I probably wouldn’t be shocked if I were an intelligent man.

June 7: Public Outrage at Teacher’s Rape (The Korea Herald)

June 8: Court Hears Australian Rape Victim Case (The Korea Herald)

June 9: Suspects Plotted Gang Rape of Female Teacher (The Korea Herald)
Fathers Held For Allegedly Raping Children's Teacher In South Korea (NDTV)
South Korea Holds Fathers After Children's Teacher Raped (The Express Tribune)

June 11: Suspect in Custody in Connection With Murder on Hiking Trail (Yonhap News)

June 13: South Korea’s Misogyny (Se-woong Koo for The New York Times)
Crackdown On Domestic Violence Builds (The Korea Herald)
Policeman Arrested for Rape of Fellow Officer (The Korea Herald)
The More Serious Rape-Related Crimes Under Korean Law (Korean Law Guru)

June 14: K-Pop Star Park Yu-chun Embroiled in Rape Scandal (The Korea Times)
My Response to Se-Woong Koo's "South Korea's Misogyny" (The Korean Foreigner)

June 15: Web Platform That Advocates Hating Misogynists Mounts Lawsuit Against Facebook (The Hankyoreh)
Rape Suit Against Yoochun Dropped, Investigation Continues (Aju Business Daily)

June 16: Ilbe Members Charged for Identifying Wrong Woman as Rape Victim (The Korea Herald)

June 17: Park Yu-chun: A Sexual Predator Disguised as K-Pop Star? (The Korea Times)
Yoochun Faces Third Suit Over Alleged Bathroom Rape (Aju Business Daily)

June 20: Four Women File Rape Claims Against K-Pop star Park Yoo-chun (Star2)

June 22: Korea Rolls Out Measures to Prevent Another Gangnam Murder (The Korea Times)

June 23: Cambodian Government Official Assaulted Interpreter in Korea (Cambodia Daily)
Cambodia Sacks Senior Education Official for Sexually Assaulting Interpreter in S.Korea (XinhauNet)

June 24: Education Official Out After Arrest in South Korea (Phnompenh Post)

June 25: Park Myung Soo Correlates Violent Assaults Against Women with Revealing Outfits (Asian Junkie)
Murder Suspect Lied, Stalked Total Stranger (Korean JoongAng Daily)
Cambodian Ministry Hits Back Over Korea Assault Case (Cambodia Daily)
In the face of mounting criticism, the Ministry of Education on Friday released a second statement defending its handling of a senior official’s arrest for molesting his interpreter in South Korea last month, and appeared to compare the sexual assault case to deputy opposition leader Kem Sokha’s alleged affair with a hairdresser.

June 27: Cambodian Ruling Party Takes Aim at Sokha Again (Khmer Times)
Policemen Get Away After Having Sex With Teenagers (The Korea Herald)
High School Students Gang Rape Inebriated Peer (The Korea Herald)
Another Sexual Assault Scandal Slams K-Pop Scene (The Korea Herald)
Webtoon Blows The Whistle on the Suffering of S. Korea’s Academic Slaves (Hankyoreh)
The third installment, titled “Can I go on?” focuses on the issue of male professors sexually harassing female students. In it, a professor tells his student, “You‘re new here. I suppose there are a lot of things you don’t know. I can teach you a thing or two. If you weren‘t my student, I might try something. . . .”
In real life, the professor it was based on also asked the student if she wanted to “go to a motel for some instruction.”
“A lot of the wording for the sexual harassing remarks by professors is exactly as it happened. We heard the stories from students and said to each other, ’They really do hear this kind of stuff every day,‘” Yeom recalled.

June 28: TV Show Claims Widen Park Yu-chun Sex Scandal (The Korea Times)
Police Officers Caught Having 'Affairs' with Students Under Their Aegis (The Korea Times)
In Jeong's case, the victim attempted suicide after the incident. She later told a worker at a regional welfare facility, who then called the police station to verify it on May 9. Jeong then resigned the next day.

Twenty-Two Men Arrested 5 Years After Gang Rape (The Korea Herald)

June 29: Loss of Diplomat's Immunity Rare (Otago Daily Times)
Police were called to a bar in Seoul's Itaewon district on May 24 following a complaint by a female staff member about the conduct of two New Zealand businessmen. Police investigated but no charges were laid against the men, who have since left Korea. However, a New Zealand diplomat who was with them is still under investigation.

June 29: Army Captain Suspected of Raping Middle School Girl Multiple Times (All K-Pop)
Yoo-chun's First Accuser Denies Being Paid Off & Second Accuser Describes Traumatic Experience (All K-Pop)
Police Arrest 22 Men Five Years After Alleged Gang Rape (The Korea Times)
Caregivers Charged For Abusing Disabled (The Korea Herald)
Alleged abuse charges were pressed on eight caregivers at a rehabilitation center for the disabled in Gwangju-si, Gyeonggi Province on Tuesday. According to the National Human Rights Commission of Korea, the accused are being charged for hitting and inflicting injuries as well as sexually harassing disabled students at the facility.

June 30: JYJ's Park to Appear Before Police for Questioning Over Sexual Assault Allegations (Yonhap News)

July 1: S. Korean Organizations Rally for Women’s Safety in Public Restrooms (Korea Bizwire)

July 4: Abusive Man Follows Girlfriend Overseas (The Korea Herald)

July 6: Violent Crimes Prompt Soul-Searching In Korea About Treatment Of Women (NPR)

July 7: Park Yoochun Sexual Assault Scandal: What We Know About The JYJ Member's Rape Controversy (The Bit Bag)

July 10: Prosecutors Indict Gangnam Murder Suspect (Yonhap News)

July 11: Civil Servant Fired for Photos of Colleagues’ Underwear (The Korea Herald)
Yoochun Will be Cleared of Rape Accusations (Aju Business Daily)
Park Yu-chun Cleared of Rape Allegations, Faces Prostitution Charge (The Korea Times)
SNU Students Under Fire for Misogynistic Language (The Korea Herald)

July 18: Runaway Teenagers Forced into Prostitution (The Korea Herald)

July 21: Man Kills Wife After Court Rejects Two Arrest Warrants (The Korea Herald)

July 27: Woman Admits Lee Jin-wook Sex Assault Claims False (The Korea Times)
Kang Jung-ho's Alleged Sexual Assault Victim Identified (The Korea Times)

Aug. 1: Police Officer Fired for Taking Up-Skirt Photos (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 8: Smoker Slaps Woman with Baby (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 11: Professor Accused of Sexually Assaulting Student (The Korea Times)

Aug. 14: Editorial: Uncomfortable Truth (The Korea Times)

Aug. 28: Half-Naked Woman Escapes From Car (The Korea Times)

Aug. 31: Korea's Swim Team Manager Quits Over Hidden Camera Scandal (The Korea Times)
The Many Manifestations of Misogyny in Hallyu (Seoul Beats)

Sept. 1: Man Nabbed for Masturbating at Women's University (The Korea Times)

Sept. 20: Cambodian Woman's Assault in Korea Enrages Compatriots (The Korea Times)

Sept. 22: Most Crimes in Seoul Subway Sex-Related (The Korea Herald)

Sept. 23: Seoul Sees Most Sex Crimes But Fewest Arrests (Chosun Ilbo)

Sept. 25: Doubts Raised Over Subway Sexual Harrassment Crackdown (The Korea Herald)
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog

July 17, 2018, 05:45:42 PM
Reply #2

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 05:45:42 PM »
2016 Continued
Oct. 21: Korean Pastor Arrested in Cambodia for Child Abuse (The Korea Times)

Nov. 1: Epic Battle Between Feminism & Deep-Seated Misogyny Under Way In Korea (Huffington Post)

Nov. 2: Man Sentenced Over South Korea Rape of Adelaide Woman Airdre Mattner (Adelaide Now)

Nov. 4: Man Convicted of Sexual Assault after Australian Victim’s Campaign

Nov. 17: Seoul Patrol: South Korea's Hidden Camera-Hunting Squad (BBC News)

Nov. 22: Open Letter to Student Who Harassed Me (Korea Expose)

Nov. 25: SNU Professor Writes Open Letter to Student Who Accosted Her
(Korea JoongAng Daily)

Dec. 16: SK Diplomat in Latin America Embroiled in Sexual Harassment Scandal (The Korea Times)
Man Guilty of Forcing Girlfriend to get Affair Tattoo (The Korea Times)

Dec. 19: Korean Diplomat Caught Harassing Chilean Girl on Hidden Camera (The Korea Times)
Video Shows Envoy in Chile Harassing Minors (The Korea Herald)

Dec. 20: SK Diplomat Repatriated After Chile Sexual Harassment Scandal (UPI)

Dec. 23: Mid East-Based Korean Envoy Punished for Sexual Harassment (The Korea Times)

Dec. 27: SK Diplomat Also Raped 12-year-old Girl in Chile (The Korea Times)
Diplomat Sacked for Raping Minor in Chile (The Korea Times)

Dec. 28: Standing Up Against Misogyny in the Arts: Sexual Abuse Cases Brought to Light (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Jan. 1: Another Foreign Ministry Official Indicted for Sex-Related Crime (The Korea Times)

Jan. 3: Man Gets 35-Year Jail Sentence for Killing Pregnant Girlfriend (The Korea Times)

Jan. 5: Taking to the Streets to Fight Misogyny: Organizing Online, Young Women Turn Anger into Action (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Jan. 12: Court Upholds 30-Year Jail Term for Gangnam Murderer (Yonhap News)

Jan. 23: Thousands Join Women’s March (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Feb. 16: Chinese Gets 25-Year Prison Sentence for Murdering Korean Woman in Jeju Church (The Korea Times)

Feb. 19: 84% of Women Victimized by Online Hate Speech (The Korea Times)

Feb. 23: 105 Offenders Caught in Teenage Prostitution Bust (The Korea Times)

Feb. 27: 55% of Korean Men Link Sexual Assault with Women's Behavior (Yonhap News)

Feb. 28: Elite University Student Accused of Sexual Assault (The Korea Times)

March 9: A Day For Women (Korea JoongAng Daily)

March 26: Restaurant Under Fire for Sexually Comparing Female Students to Fruits (KoreaBoo)

April 21: Top University Professor Accused of Sexual Harassment (The Korea Times)
Woman Convicted of Biting Off Tongue of Man Who Demanded Sex (The Korea Times)
Hong Denies Part in Aphrodisiac Rape Attempt (The Korea Herald)

May 5: Man Charged With Sexually harassing Yoo’s Daughter (The Korea Herald)

May 16: Rape Culture in Korea (The Korea Times)

May 25: South Korea Rape Victim Navy Officer Commits Suicide (The Star)

May 27: Officer Takes Own Life Following Alleged Rape (Korea JoonAng Daily)

June 1: Senior Band Of Korea Officials Disciplined Over Alleged Sexual Harassment (The Korea Times)

June 5: Fried Chicken Chief Accused of Sexual Harassment (The Korea Times)

June 11: Female Army Officer Bashed For Not Covering For Sex Offender (The Korea Herald)

June 16: Students Claim Sexual Harassment During Internships at South Korean Farms (The Nation)

June 17: The K-pop Casting Couch: Sexual Coercion by Entertainment Suits (Seoul Beats)

July 19: Man Arrested for Attacking Girlfriend & Drunken Driving (The Korea Herald)

June 22: Blue House Official's Book Stirs Controversy: Even Pregnant Teachers Made Me Feel Horny (the Korea Times)

June 25: Thai students Molested & Exploited During Internships in SK (The Korea Times)

June 26: Korean Police Probe Sexual Harassment Scandal Against Thai Interns (The Korea Times)

June 27: Elderly man stabs Vietnamese daughter-in-law to death (The Korea Times)

July 3: Court Dismisses Suit by Teacher Fired for Smelling Student’s Hair, Touching Toes (The Korea Herald)

July 4: Dating Abuse on Rise in SK (The Korea Herlad)

July 12: SK Diplomat Accused of Sexual Assault in Ethiopia (UPI)
Russian Gets Life Sentence for Killing S. Korean Woman (The Korea Times)

July 13: SK Diplomat Recalled From Ethiopia Over Alleged Rape (Times Live)

July 14: Gyeonggi Woman Takes Own Life After Disclosing Sexual Violence (The Korea Herald)

July 16: Runaway Korean Rapist Repatriated After Raping Again in Australia (The Korea Times)

July 17: Teacher Jailed for Sexually Harassing Student (The Korea Times)

July 21: SK Dismisses Diplomat in Ethiopia Suspected of Raping Female Worker (Yonhap News)
Police Photo Causes Sexual Harassment Controversy (The Korea Times)
Judge Arrested For Taking Photos of Woman on Subway (The Korea Herald)

July 23: Police to Crack Down on Dating Violence (The Korea Times)
Police Warn About sexual Crimes on Subways  (The Korea Herald)

July 25: Thai Woman Sexually Harassed by Korean Taxi Driver (The Korea Herald)
A Man Knocks Out His Teenage Girlfriend's Front Teeth for Canceling his Song at Karaoke (All K-Pop)

July 26: Teachers Accused of Molesting 80 Students (The Korea Times)

Aug. 1: Man Kills Waxing Shop Owner After Seeing Her on YouTube (All KPop)

Aug. 3: Filmmaker Kim Ki-duk Accused of Abusing Actress Over Sex Scene (The Korea Times)

Aug. 7: Korean Man Gets 3-Year Jail Term for Forcing Foreign Woman into Prostitution (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 12: Ex-South Korean Diplomat Jailed for Sexually Harassing Chilean Minor (The Santiago Times)

Aug. 17: 8 in 10 Korean Men Admit Abuse of Girlfriend (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 18: Man Jailed for Bashing 'Hairy' Woman (The Korea Time)

Aug. 27: Over 980 Peeping Toms Caught This Summer (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 28: Couple Forced Homeless Teen into Prostitution (The Korea Times)

Sept. 10: Crackdown on Hidden Camera Crimes Elusive (The Korea Times)

Sept. 12: Student Kicks Attacker in the Testicles (The Korea Times)
Poet Gets Eight Years' Jail for Sexually Harassing Six Students (The Korea Times)

Sept. 18: Foreign Ministry Official Under Fire for Sexist Remarks (The Korea Herald)

Sept. 20: Death Penalty Sought for Doctor Accused of Fatally Poisoning Wife (The Korea Times)

Sept. 27: Seoul to Devise Automated Systems to Drive Out Sexual Abuse Images Online (The Korea Herald)

Sept. 28: College Women Call Out Professors’ Sexist Remarks in Open Letter (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 8: Man Jailed for Spreading Revenge Porn (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 10: Police Officer Arrested for Peeping into Female Restroom (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 13: Molar Daddy Confesses to Sexually Assaulting Girl (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Sexual Desire, Psychopath Tendency Behind Suspected Murder by Molar Daddy (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 16: Korean Actor Sentenced to Jail for Sexual Assault (The Korea Times)

Oct. 18: 35 Professors Punished for Sex Crimes (The Korea Times)

Oct. 19: Man Gets 20-Year Jail Term for Raping Step-Granddaughter (The Korea Times)
Doctor Sentenced for Sexually Assaulting Female Intern (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 20: South Korean Professor Indicted for Harassment (Taipei Times)

Oct. 22: Professor Assaults Wife for Coming Home Late (The Korea Herald)
Half of Police Officers Fired for Sex Offenses Keep Jobs (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 24: Hospital Professor Assaulted 11 Medical Residents Over Two Years (The Korea Times)

Oct. 25: Rape Suspect & ‘Molar Daddy’ Stepfather Found Dead (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 28: South Korean Triple Murder Suspect a NZ Resident (Stuff)

Oct. 31: Korea Grapples With War Between Genders (The Korea Times)

Nov. 1: Man Flees After Spraying Ink on Women’s Stockings in Busan (The Korea Herald)
Police Put Up Fake Spycam Porn to Trap Predators Online (The Korea Herald)

Nov. 3: South Korea Police Campaign Against Hidden Camera Pornography (BBC News)

Nov. 9: Horrific Crime: South Koreans Fear Release of Pedophile Rapist from 2008 (The Korea Times)

Nov. 11: South Korea's Sex Ed Guidelines Suggest Victims Are To Blame For Date Rape (NPR)

Nov. 18: Workplace Sexual Harassment in South Korea Sparks Anger & Tougher Penalties for Offenders (Straits Times)
Human Rights Watch: South Korea Not Doing Enough to Protect Women (News AU)

Nov. 22: Teacher Jailed for Sex With Elementary Student (The Korea Times)

Nov. 27: Yoo So Young (Ex-After School) Says Sexual Harassment is Common, Discusses a Company CEO (Asian Junkie)

Nov. 29: Murder Suspect Stays With Dead Body For 3 Days (The Korea Times)

Nov. 29: Man Arrested for Impersonating Cop to Get Foreign Woman’s Phone Number in Busan (Haps Magazine Korea)

Nov. 30: Woman Buried Alive in Neighbor's Revenge Attack (The Korea Times)

Dec. 3: Shaman Sentenced to Jail for Undressing Woman During Ritual (The Korea Times)

Dec. 6: Married Man Jailed for Forcing Teen to Send Naked Photos (The Korea Herald)

Dec. 13 South Korea’s #MeToo Moment Yet To Come (The Korea Herald)
Saudi Brothers Arrested for Rape in Korea (The Korea Herald)

Dec. 14: Professor Accused of Treating Female Students as Objects (The Korea Herald)
South Korea’s #MeToo Moment Yet to Come (The Korea Herald)

Dec. 15: South Korean Actress Confronts Taboos With Abuse Allegations (Channel News Asia)

Dec. 20: Buddhist Monk Suspected of Sexual Assault (The Korea Herald)

Dec. 27: Bank Allegedly Forced Female Staff to Resign After Marriage (The Korea Herald)

Dec. 28: Judge Caught Red-Handed Taking Photos of Women on Seoul Metro (The Korea Herald)
Liberian Woman Wins Defamation Judgment After Being Harassed by Elderly Korean (Hankyoreh)

Dec. 29: Missing Girl Found Dead on Hillside; Father Arrested as Prime Suspect (The Korea Times)
Police Find Body of Missing Girl on Hillside in Gunsan (The Korea Herald)
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog

July 17, 2018, 05:46:34 PM
Reply #3

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 05:46:34 PM »
Jan. 2: Many Faces of #MeToo (The Korea Times)
Dead Girl's Father Confesses to Beating Her (The Korea Times)

Jan. 9: Teacher Sexually Harassed Five Schoolgirls (The Korea Times)
Christian University Under Fire For Punishing Students Hosting Seminar on Prostitution, Gender (The Korea Herald)

Jan. 10: Extradition Confirmed for Korean Man Accused of Brutal Triple Murder (Stuff)

Jan. 14: North Korean Defectors' Take on #MeToo (Casey Lartigue Jr. for The Korea Times)

Jan. 15: Busan Institute Director Arrested for Raping & Threatening High School Girl (The Korea Herald)

Jan. 19: Short Track Star Shim Suk-hee Allegedly Assaulted by Coach (The Korea Herald)

Jan. 22: Teaching Public Safety Through Objectifying AND Slut-Shaming Women Was a Bizarre Low, Even for Korea (The Grand Narrative)

Jan. 25: K-pop: Can #MeToo Go Too Far? (The Korea Times)

Jan. 26: Ex-Boyfriends Accounts for Most Online Sex Crimes (The Korea Times)

Jan. 28: Vice Principal Shoots Arrow at Female Teacher (The Korea Herald)

Jan. 30: Female Prosecutor Speaks Out on Own Sex Crime Victimhood (The Korea Times)
South Korea’s #MeToo Movement Just Got Started (Quartz Media)
Prosecutors Demand Death Sentence for 'Molar Father' in Killing of Teen Girl (The Korea Herald)
(Asia One)

Jan. 31: ‘Me Too’ Prosecutor Goes Public With Groping (Korea JoongAng Daily)
9 in 10 Women in Seoul Suffer From Dating Violence (The Korea Times)
Sexual Harassment Allegations Spark Public Uproar in Korean Society (Hankyoreh)
Prosecutor-General Promises to Investigate Sexual Harassment Claims (Hankyoreh)
Female Prosecutor Discloses Atmosphere of Pervasive Sexism in the Workplace (Hankyoreh)
President Moon Responds to Seo Ji-hyeon’s Sexual Harassment Allegations (Hankyoreh)
Prosecution Launches Investigative Body into Sexual Harassment Allegations (The Korea Times)

Feb. 1: #MeToo Movement Gaining Wider Support in Korea (The Korea Times)
Did #MeToo Just Start in South Korea? (Korea Expose)
Shame On The Prosecution (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Independent Team to Investigate Seo Ji-hyun’s Allegations of Sexual Harassment at Prosecutors’ Office (Hankyoreh)

Feb. 2: Kumho Asiana Group CEO Under Fire for Sexual Harassment (The Korea Bizwire)
#MeToo Movement Comes to South Korea in Wake of Seo Ji-hyeon Allegations (Hankyoreh)
Minister Vows Probe into Prosecutor's #MeToo Case (The Korea Times)

Feb. 3: Justice Ministry Probes Its Own Assaults (Korea JoongAng Daily)
South Korea’s #MeToo Movement Spreads to the Business World (Hankyoreh)

Feb. 4: #MeToo Movement at Asiana (The Korea Times)
Asiana Airlines Chairman Embroiled in Sexual Harassment Scandal (The Korea Herald)

Feb. 5: More Women Coming Forward With Stories of Sexual Abuse Following Seo Ji-hyun’s Allegations (Hankyoreh)

Feb. 6: Harrassment Stories Mushroom (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Police Officer Accused of Forcing Juniors to Watch Porn (The Korea Times)
South Korea Joins The #MeToo Movement (The Huffington Post)
Study: Dating Violence Prevalent in Seoul (Korea Expose)

Feb. 7: #MeToo Wave Spreading in SK Society (Yonhap News)

Feb. 11: Abused S. Korea Actress Slams 'Hypocritical' Berlin Filmfest (Yahoo News)

Feb. 13: The #MeToo Movement Finally Arrives in South Korea (The Diplomat)

Feb. 14: Police Put $4,600 Bounty on Jeju Guesthouse Murder Suspect (The Korea Times)

Feb. 15: The Kevin Spacey Twist in South Korea’s #MeToo Campaign? (Korea Expose)
How South Korea Is Embracing the #MeToo Movement (Hollywood Reporter)

Feb. 16: Senior Prosecutor Arrested for Sexual Assault (The Korea Herald)

Feb. 19: Master Stage Director Apologizes for Sexual Misconduct (Yonhao News)
Dating Violence Growing Rapidly in South Korea (Korea Biz)
Renowned Play Director Resigns Over #MeToo Claim (The Korea Times)
A Director’s Apology Adds Momentum to South Korea’s #MeToo Movement (The New York Times)

Feb. 20: Nurse Driven to Suicide by Bullying, Says Boyfriend (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Veteran Actor Denies Sexual Misconduct (The Korea Times)
#MeToo Movement Ripples Through Cultural Circles (Yonhap News)
Custom or Crime? (The Korea Times)
Famous Korean Playwright Issues Public Apology for Decades of Sexual Misconduct (Hankyoreh)

Feb. 21: 'Molar Father' Sentenced to Death for Killing Daughter's Friend
Hotline Sees Korea’s #MeToo Movement Grow (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Jo Min-ki’s Flip-Flop on Sexual Misconduct with Students Further Sparks Fury (The Korea Herald)
Jo Min-ki Denies Abuse Allegations (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Veteran Actor Apologizes Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations (The Korea Times)

Feb. 22: Me Too Accusations Snowball Among the Arts (Korea JoongAng Daily)
South Korean Chat App Brings #MeToo Movement to the Country (Christian Science Monitor)
Korea Toughening Rules Against Dating Violence & Stalking (The Korea Herald)

Feb. 23: A Director’s Apology Adds Momentum to South Korea’s #MeToo Movement (Today Online)

Feb. 24: Veteran Actor Cho Jae-hyun Apologizes to Sexual Abuse Victims (Yonhap News)
In South Korea, a Society Faces up to an Epidemic of Sexual Harassment (Channel News Asia)

Feb. 25: #MeToo Movement in South Korea Spreads to Academic Sector (UPI)
Case of Misogyny? ‘Bully’ Skater Wins Silver, Yet Dispute Lingers (The Korea Herald)
#MeToo Spills Over into Korea's Music Industry (The Korea Times)
South Korea Church Apologizes for Abuse (Hurriyet Daily)
#MeToo is Another 'Candlelight Protest' (The Korea Times)
South Korea's Entertainment Industry Reeling From #MeToo Revelations (The Hollywood Reporter)

Feb. 26: #MeToo spreads to Catholic Church (The Korea Times)
South Korea President Joins Country’s Growing MeToo Movement (Associated Press)
Veteran Actor Cho Jae-hyun Embroiled in MeToo Scandal (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Actor's Confession of Sexual Harassment Backfires (The Korea Times)
#MeToo Begins to Gain Traction In South Korea's Entertainment World (Billboard)
Theater Company Head Arrested Over Alleged Sexual Assault of Minors (Yonhap News)
South Korea's Moon Urges Action Against Growing #MeToo Sex Abuse Claims (Reuters)
President Moon Jae-in Joins Growing #MeToo Movement in South Korea (Arirang TV)

Feb. 27: Me Too Accusations Reach Catholic Priest (Korea JoongAng Daily)
One Month Into South Korea's MeToo Movement ... Who's Next? (Yonhap News)
Police Book Actor Jo Min-ki Over String of Sexual Abuse Allegations (Yonhap News)
Agency Cuts Ties With Embattled Jo Min-ki (Korea JoongAng Daily)
South Korea's President Urges MeToo Investigations (Al Jazeera)

Feb. 28: Man Gets Suspended Sentence for Sexual Exploitation of Youths (The Korea Herald)
When Your Father is A Powerful Man Accused of Sexual Assault (The Korea Herald)
Oh Dal-su Sinks Deeper Into Harassment Scandal (The Korea Herald)
Actor Oh Dal-soo Belatedly Admits to Sexual Abuse (Yonhap News)
S. Korea Catholic Church Says 'Devastated' by Sex Abuse Scandal (Daily Mail)
Can Schools Help Rid the World of Sexual Harassers & Abusers? (Christian Science Monitor)

petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog

July 17, 2018, 05:47:39 PM
Reply #4

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »
March, 2018

March 1: Ko Un: Why It Took So Long For Sexual Misconduct to be Revealed (The Korea Times)
‘Women Should Speak With One Voice,’ Says Professor (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Women Demand Lee Be Probed (Korea JoongAng Daily)
MeToo Movement Takes on Lechery in Academia (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Oh Dal-su Apologizes After Denial (Korea JoongAng Daily)
#MeToo Movement Having Lasting Impact on SK Society After Just One Month (Hankyoreh)
How #MeToo Movement is Pushing for Revision of SK’s Defamation Law (The Korea Herald)
MeToo Movement Having Lasting Impact on SK Society After Just a Month (Hankyoreh)

March 2: Female Rape Victim’s IQ Becomes Issue in Police Probe (The Korea Herald)
Prosecutor-Turned-Lawmaker to be Investigated Over Sexual Harassment (The Korea Herald)
Officials Kill Projects Amid #MeToo (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Still Much to be Done (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Oh Dal-soo to be Cut From Along With the Gods 2 (The Korea Times)
Head of Acting Troupe Arrested on Rape Charges (The Korea Times)

March 3: Victims of Sex Abuse Find Scant Legal Recourse (Korea JoongAng Daily)
South Chungcheong Governor Accused of Rape (The Korea Times)

March 4: #MeToo Movement Spreading to Schools (The Korea Herald)
Former Lawmaker Accused of Attempted Rape (The Korea Times)
#MeToo Followed By #WithYou (The Korea Herald)
The #MeToo-ing of Ko Un, Korea’s Best Hope for a Nobel Prize (LA Review Of Books)

March 5: MeToo Movement Keeps Building Up Steam (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Senior Teacher in Daegu Dismissed Over Sexual Misconduct (The Korea Herald)
Police, Education Ministry Look into Sexual Misconduct of Professors at Myongji College (The Korea Herald)
#MeToo Rocks Myongji Univ, University of Seoul (The Korea Times)
Man Gets Suspended Sentence for Lewd Acts in Public (The Korea Herald)
South Korea May Remove Poet's Work From Textbooks Amid Sexual Abuse Claims (Reuters)

March 6: Governor Offers to Step Down Amid Rape Scandal (The Korea Times)
S. Chungcheong Governor An to Step Down After Rape Allegations (The Korea Herald)
Ruling Party to Expel Gov. An Over Sex Abuse Allegations (The Kore Herald)
An Hee-jung's Political Career in Jeopardy (The Korea Times)
Sexual Assault Victims Will Take Legal Action (Korea JoongAng Daily)
#MeToo Partially Spreads to Business Sphere (The Korea Herald)
Ruling Party Swiftly Cuts Ties with An Hee-Jung Accused of Sexual Assault (The Korea Herald)
Angered Man Throws Baseball Bat at An Hee-jung’s Window (The Korea Herald)
From Presidential Hopeful to Accused Rapist: An Hee-jung (The Korea Herald)
Ex-Governor An Faces Probe Over #MeToo Rape Claims (The Korea Times)
South Chungcheong Gov. An Hee-jung Resigns for Raping Secretary (Korea JoongAng Daily)

March 7: Korea's Rape Culture Under Attack (The Korea Times)
Rape Accusations Force Governor Out of Office (Korea JoongAng Daily)
As 'MeToo' Sweeps Korea, Conspicuous Silence Within K-Pop (The Korea Herald)
Award-Winning Filmmaker Faces Sex Offense Allegations (The Korea Times)
More Actresses Accuse Kim Ki-duk & Cho Jae-hyun of Sexual Assault (The Korea Herald)
Jo Min-ki to be Questioned by Police (Korea JoongAng Daily)
'MeToo' Leads to Women Being Shunned in the Office (The Chosun Ilbo)
Police Probe Disgraced South Chungcheong Governor on Rape Charges (The Chosun Ilbo)
More Men Wary of Interacting With Women (The Korea Times)
Ko Un's Poems to be Removed From School Textbooks (The Korea Times)
#MeToo in South Korea: The Fall of Powerful Men & What’s Next (Korea Expose)
#MeToo Campaign Hot Issue in Local Elections (The Chosun Ilbo)
Today's #MeToo Roundup (The Korea Times)
University Students Rally Against Abortion Ban, Sexual Violence (Hankyoreh

March 8: SK Revs Up Fight Against Sexual Crimes (The Korea Times)
SNU Hospital Doctor Embroiled in Sexual Violence Allegations (The Korea Herald)
Another Woman Claims Sex Assault by Ex-Governor (The Chosun Ilbo)
Police Investigate 31 Public Figures Over 'Me Too' Cases (The Chosun Ilbo)
Many Schoolkids Complain of Sexual Harassment (The Chosun Ilbo)
In a Win for SK's #MeToo Movement, Government Gives More Jail Time to Harassers (PRI)
When Seemingly Devoted Husbands Turn Out to be Alleged Sex Criminals (The Korea Herald)
Ex-Governor Cancels Press Conference Amid Rumors of Fresh Accusations (The Korea Times)
Time to Protect The Victim (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Operation #MeToo Begins (The Korea Times)
MeToo Movement Engulfs South Korea in Storm of Sexual Abuse Allegations (Andrew Salmon for Asia Times)
South Korea to Erase Sex Abuse Accused from Textbooks (Channel News Asia)
Today's #MeToo Roundup (The Korea Times)
The “Pence rule” is Trending in South Korea as #MeToo Takes Hold (Quartz)

March 9: Korea's Catholic Church Forms Sexual Assault Prevention Body (The Korea Herald)
The Pathetic #MeToo Awareness of Hong Joon-pyo & Park Soon-ja (The Kyunghyang Shinmun)
Ex-Governor Slapped With Travel Ban Over Rape Charges (The Chosun Ilbo)
An Hee-jung Accused of Rapes by Second Woman (Korea JoongAng Daily)
B1A4 Singer Sandeul Denies Rumors of Involvement in Sexual Violence (Yonhap News)
Actor Jo Min-ki Kills Himself Over Sexual Harassment Allegations (The Chosun Ilbo)
#MeToo-Hit Actor Jo Min-ki Found Dead in Apparent Suicide (The Korea Times)
Actor Jo Min-ki Found Dead Amid Sex Allegations (Yonhap News)
Maximizing #MeToo Wave (The Korea Times)
Ex-Governor Faces Prosecutors on Rape Charges (The Chosun Ilbo)
Ex-Gov. Apologizes for Sexual Misconduct (The Korea Times)
How a Masturbating Monk & ‘Korea's Obama’ Drove Seoul To Say ‘Me Too' (South China Morning Post)
Actresses Accuse Award-Winning Director Kim Ki-duk of Multiple Rape (The Chosun Ilbo)
Actor Accused of Sexual Misconduct Commits Suicide (Korea JoongAng Daily)

March 10: Director Faces More Sexual Abuse Allegations (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Seoul Mayor Candidate Denies Sexual Assault Allegations (Korea JoongAng Daily)
An Shows Up to be Grilled About Reports of Rape (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Jo Min-ki Found Dead After Abuse Accusations (Korea JoongAng Daily)

March 11: Sexual Abuse in Seoul Schools on Sharp Increase (Yonhap News)
#MeToo Allegations Unfazed by Actor's Death (The Korea Times)
After Actor’s Death, Some South Koreans Label #MeToo Movement Witch Hunt (The Korea Herald)
Wife of Lawmaker Accused of Sexual Misconduct Under Fire for Supporting Husband (The Korea Herald)
Ex-Presidential Spokesperson Denies Allegations on Power Abuse & Affair (The Korea Herald)
Janssen Korea Hit for #MeToo Claim (The Korea Times)
Lawmaker Offers to Resign Over Alleged Sexual Misconduct (The Korea Times)

March 12: Low-Key Funeral for Actor Accused of Sexual Abuse (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Scandal-Hit Politician Claims Innocence (The Korea Times)
#MeToo Allegations Plague Seoul Mayoral Race (Korea JoongAng Daily)
"Interest in MB Is Dying," Another #MeToo Conspiracy Theory (The Kyunghyang Shinmun)
#MeToo Movement Turns South Korea Against Sexual Abuse (Asia News)

March 13: 62% of Actresses & Female Film Workers Sexually Harassed (The Korea Times)
Fallout Goes on for Ko Un & Other MeToo Perpetrators (Korea JoongAng Daily)

March 14: Middle School Teacher Probed Over Sexual Violence Claims (The Korea Herald)
Female Student Awarded for Helping Arrest Flasher (The Korea Herald)
Migrant Wives Suffer from Sexual Violence (The Korea Times)

March 15: Man Gets Reduced Sentence for Hitting and Raping Wife (The Korea Herald)
An May Face Third Rape Accuser (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Predator in the Guise of Filmmaker? (The Korea Times)
PyeongChang Skiers Banned for Life Over Sexual Violence (The Korea Times)
When Public Outrage Extends to Family Members (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Dispute Raised Over Authenticity of Jo Min-ki’s Texts to Alleged Victim (The Korea Herald)

March 16: Man Arrested for Attacking Air Busan flight Attendant (The Korea Times)
South Korea Says #MeToo as Sexual Allegations Topple Prominent Figures (The Interpreter)

March 18: Top Actress Calls #MeToo 'Good Pain' (The Korea Times)
Male Fans Burn Red Velvet Irene's Merchandise Upon Finding Out She Read a Feminist Novel & Netizens React (All K-Pop)
#MeToo Unaffected by Professor's Death (The Korea Times)

March 19: Ex-Governor Grilled Over Rape Allegations (The Korea Times)
Professor, Target of #MeToo, Dies (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Symbolic Actor Adds to #MeToo Suspects List (The Korea Times)
Ex-Governor Denies Sexual Assault Charges, Claims Consensual Sex (The Korea Herald)

March 20: Former Ms Korea Accuses Actor of Abuse (Korea JoongAng Daily)
A Long History of Abusing Power (Korea JoongAng Daily)

March 21: #MigrantsToo (The Korea Times)
An Hee-jung Denies Rape Charges, Submits Photographs as Proof of ‘Consensual Sex’ (The Korea Herald)
New School Year Begins With a Chorus of MeToo (Korea JoongAng Daily)
#MeToo Not Just About Calling Out Sexual Harassers (The Korea Times)
Film Authorities Attempted to Cover Up Director’s Sex Harassment (The Korea Herald)
Police Seek Arrest Warrant for Theatrical Director in Sex Assault Probe (The Korea Herald)

March 22: MeToo Takes Off in South Korea, But Justice Harder to Attain (AP/ABC News)
It Was Always #MeToo — Sexual Violence Revelations Shake South Korea (Green Left Weekly)

March 23: Prosecutors Seek Arrest Warrant For Ex-Gov (The Korea Herald)
Seoul Metro Installs Scream Detection System in Women’s Bathrooms (The Korea Herald)
Cop Raped Blind-Date Partner (The Korea Times)
#MeToo Marathon (Korea Joongang Daily)
Elevator Footage of a Teen Beating his Passed Out Girlfriend Shocks Netizens (Netizen Buzz)

March 25: #MeToo Movement Takes Hold in South Korea (BBC News)
False Sex Crime Accusation Killed My Husband (The Korea Times)

March 26: #YouToo Response to #MeToo Movement Signals Looming Battle of the Sexes (The Korea Herald)

March 27: Man’s Brutal Violence Against Girlfriend Generates Shock & Outrage (The Korea Herald)

March 27: Feminist Novel Becomes Center of Controversy in South Korea (The Korea Herald)

March 28: Growing Anti-Feminism Sentiment in South Korea (The Korea Bizwire)

March 29: Korean Men Feeling Besieged by #MeToo are Revolting Against a Novel About a Stay-At-Home Mom (Quartz)

March 30: Sexual Abuse Victims Need Courage (The Korea Times)

March 31: #MeToo Called for an Overhaul. Are Workplaces Really Changing? (Korea JoongAng Daily)
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog

July 17, 2018, 05:48:32 PM
Reply #5

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
2018 Continued

April 2: Man Held After Taking Girl Hostage at Seoul School (The Korea Times)

April 2: Police Subdue Man in Hostage-Taking of School Girl (Yonhap News)

April 2: Comedian Kim Saeng-min Apologizes for Sexual Misconduct (The Korea Times)

April 3: Man Holds Girl Hostage at School (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 3: School Hostage Suspect Says it was on God's Order (The Korea Times)

April 3: Woman Hyundai Motor Executive Resigns Amid #MeToo Wave (Reuters)

April 4: Kim Saeng-min Resigns From Shows (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 5: #MeToo Movement Engulfs South Korea’s Workplace (Bloomberg)

April 6: #MeToo Comes to South Korea, Where an Economy Miracle Sidelined Women (The Financial Review)

April 7: Society Slowly Starting to Change After #MeToo (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 9: Hushed Voices Frantically Look For Ways to Get Out of Trouble (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 9: Protesters Show Support for #MeToo Victims (The Korea Times)

April 9: #MeToo Hits Universities (The Korea Times)

April 9: Korean Drug Rape Suspect Repatriated from Vietnam (The Korea Times)

April 10: Sex Offender Fled Abroad While Wearing Ankle Monitor (The Korea Herald)

April 11: Man with Anklet Evades Security at Incheon (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 11: Korean Soccer Player Accused of Sex Assault Allowed to Leave Guam (The Korea Times)

April 11: Prosecutor Convicted of Sexual Misconduct (The Korea Times)

April 11: Lotte Sorry for Sexually Offensive Joke (The Korea Times)

April 14: Top Court Focuses on Victim in Harassment Case (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 15: Scream Detection Devices Fraught With False Alarms (The Korea Herald)

April 16: Korean Murder Accused Dies in Custody in Hong Kong (The Korea Times)

April 17: The #MeToo Era Is Happening In South Korea Whether It’s Ready For It Or Not (Buzz Feed)

April 18: Court Arraigns Ex-Prosecutor to Decide on Arrest Warrant (The Korea Herald)

April 18: Sexual Harassment: Hongdae a Hotbed of Secret Cameras (The Korea Times)

April 19: Star Baduk Player Accused of Rape (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 20: Despite Ankle Monitors, Ex-Cons Fly Under Radar (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 20: Court Denies Warrant for Prosecutor in #MeToo Case (Korea JoongAng Daily)

April 22: Nationwide Rally Rekindles #MeToo Movement (The Korea Times)

April 23: Professor Accused of Sexual Assault Sues Student for Defamation (The Korea Herald)

April 24: Man Arrested for Allegedly Selling Child Porn (The Korea Times)

April 26: Real Change on Campus Elusive Despite #MeToo Movement (The Korea Herald)

April 30: Spycam Porn Victims Support Program Launched in South Korea (The Korea Herald)

May 2: 80% of Koreans Support #MeToo Movement (The Korea Herald)

May 2: Prosecutor Who Ignited #MeToo in Korea Condemns Prosecution’s Sexual Assault Probe (The Korea Herald)

May 2: Through Her Eyes (The Korea Herald)

May 3: Over 200,000 Sign Petition for Harsher Punishment to Child Rapists (The Korea Herald)

May 4: Assaulted & Insulted Firefighter Loses Her Life (Korea JoongAng Daily)

May 12: Short Track Coach Banned for Assaulting Athlete Lands China Job (The Korea Herald)

May 13: Man Gets 25-year Sentence for Beating Woman to Death (The Korea Herald)

May 13: Police Looking into Spycam Snaps of High School Dorm (The Korea Herald)

May 17: 6 in 10 Female Employees at Judicial Bodies Experienced Sexual Violence (The Korea Herald)

May 18: YouTuber's Revelations of Sexual Humiliation Go Viral (The Korea Times)

May 18: K-Pop Diva Suzy Stands Behind Sexually Harassed YouTuber (The Korea Times)

May 20: Largest Ever Women’s Rally Protests Spy-Cam Pornography (The Korea Herald)

May 21: Women’s March Photo (Korea JoongAng Daily)

May 21: Against South Korea’s Spycam Porn Epidemic (Korea Expose)

May 21: South Korean Women Demand Equal Justice for Internet Sex Crimes Amid Spy-Cam Porn Epidemic (Telegraph)

May 22: Studio Threatens Legal Action Against Suzy (Korea JoongAng Daily)

June 5: Jeju Man Arrested for Allegedly Murdering Woman in 20s (The Korea Herald)

June 5: Prosecution Reopens Jang Ja-yeon Sexual Abuse Case (The Korea Herald)

June 5: Pernod Ricard Employees Accuse Senior Exec of Abuse (Korea JoongAng Daily)

June 5: Prosecution Will Begin Re-Investigating Jang Ja Yeon’s Case From 9 Years Ago (KoreaBoo)

June 7: Korea’s Legal System Makes it Easy to Target Those Who Have Come Forward With Sex Crime Allegations (Korea JoongAng Daily)
Man Arrested for Taking Upskirt Photos of Teen (The Korea Herald)

June 8: Professor Calls Students Pigs & Dogs (The Korea Herald)

June 11: Protesters Call Out Police Sexism (Korea JoongAng Daily)

June 12: #MeToo Misfire Threatens to Take Down Superstar Suzy

June 14: Vocalist Sentenced to 7-Year Jail Term for Sexual Assault (The Korea Herald)

June 19: Over Half of Women in Culture Sector Fell Victim to Sexual Violence (The Korea Herald)
Human Rights Agency to Root Out Sexual Harassment in Entertainment (The Korea Herald)

June 20: 11% of Public Servants Have Experienced Sexual Harassment (The Chosun Ilbo)

June 21: Actor Faces Rape Accusation From 16 years Ago (The Korea Times)
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog

August 11, 2018, 04:28:39 PM
Reply #6

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Violence Against Women In Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »
2018 Continued

July 2: Culture Ministry Urged to Impose Stronger Penalties for Sex Crimes (The Korea Herald)
Seoul Verdict in Favor of Fired Policeman Engaging in Lewd Acts (The Korea Herald)

July 3: Ex-Governor's Rape Trial Starts (Chosun Ilbo)

July 6: #MeToo Movement Spreads to Sports (The Korea Times)

July 7: K-pop Girl Group Apink Banned From Dating (The Korea Times)
South Korean Women Protest in Seoul Over Hidden Sex Cameras (BBC News)

July 9: Teenager Among Hidden Camera Upskirt Suspects (The Korea Times)
Suspect in Nude Photo Case Commits Suicide (The Korea Times)
Sex Scandals Hit Military (The Korea Times)
Army General Sacked for Sexual Misconduct (The Korea Times)
Is it Safe to Wear a Bikini in Korea? (The Korea Herald)

July 10: Suzy Blamed for Suspect's Suicide in Photo Leak Case (The Korea Times)
YouTube Accuser Called Murderer & Liar After Studio Owner's Suicide (The Korea Times)
Police Apprehend Suspect in Attempted Child Kidnapping (Yonhap News)

July 11: Petition Calls for Execution of YouTuber Embroiled in Sex Abuse Probe
Tragic End to Sex Abuse Scandal? (The Korea Herald)
Suzy Blamed for Suspect's Suicide in Photo Leak Case (The Korea Times)

July 18: Teenage Feminists Call for Protection at School (The Korea Times)

July 19: Torment of Young South Korean Athletes Raped and Beaten by Coaches at Training Camps (South China Morning Post)
Rapes & Beatings: The Torments of South Korea's Young Athletes (The Straits Times)
Principal Found Dead After Teacher Revealed Raping Disabled Students (The Korea Herald)
Suspect Shot 20,000 Motel Videos Over 4 Years (Korea JoongAng Daily)

July 20: Korea’s Feminist Voices Go from the Classroom to the Street (Korea JoongAng Daily)

July 26: Poet Ko Un Files 1 Billion-Won Suit Against #MeToo Accuser (The Korea Herald)

July 27: S. Korean Women Show Up at Courtroom to Support #MeToo Victims (The Korea Times)
Former Tennis Pro Shines Light on Rapes & Beatings Many Young South Korean Athletes Endure in Silence (The Japan Times)

July 30: At South Korean Beaches & Swimming Pools, a War Against Tiny Spy Cameras (The Washington Post)

July 31: Misogyny in Korean Online Communities a Serious Concern (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 3: Spycam Porn Sparks Record Protests in South Korea (Yahoo News)
Getting Raped Is a Must if You Want to Become an Artist (Korea Daily)
South Korea's Spy Cam Porn Epidemic (BBC News)
#MeToo Movement Encourages Female-Led Activism in South Korea, Sparks Record Protests Against Spycam Pornography (First Post)
Reported Sex Crimes on the Rise (Choson Ilbo)

Aug. 5: #Metoo at Schools (The Korea Times)
Five Men Jailed for Gang Rape of Woman (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 7: Underwater Sexual Harassment Gets Scuba Instructor Two Years Behind Bars (The Korea Times)
Middle School Student Admits Raping 13-Year-Old (The Korea Times)

Aug. 8: Filmmaker, Actor Face New Sexual Misconduct Allegations (The Korea Times)
16 Teachers Accused of Sexually Harassing Girls (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Aug. 9: How One of The World’s Fiercest Fights for Women’s Rights was Sparked in South Korea (Quartz)

Aug. 10: Doctor Probed as Police Reopen Hospital Spycam Case After 3 Years (The Korea Times)
South Korea’s Online 'Bamboo Forests' Take Center Stage in #MeToo Movement (The Diplomat)

Man Fined for Posting Photos of Naked Girlfriend (The Korea Times)

Aug. 14: Opposition Parties Slam Court Decision on Ex-Governor in Sex Abuse Trial (Yonhap News)
Spycam is Big Money Operation in S. Korea's Porn Industry (The Korea Times)

Aug. 15: South Korea’s First Big #MeToo Trial Left Many Disappointed (Quartz)
#MeToo Anger as Politician Found Not Guilty of Rape (The Guardian)
College Student Handed Suspended Jail Term for Revenge Porn (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 19: South Korea is No Country for Women: Women’s Groups Protest Acquittal of Top Politician (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 20: Ruling in Ex-Governor's Rape Case Fuels #MeToo Fire in South Korea (The Korea Herald)
Debate Rises Over Changing S. Korea's Sexual Abuse Laws (The Korea Times)
Prosecution Appeals Not-Guilty Verdict for Ex-Governor Accused of Sexual Abuse (Yonhap)

Aug. 21: Prosecutors Launch Appeal in An’s Rape Case (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Aug. 22: Unauthorized Naked Photo Sharing Goes Unpunished (The Korea Times)
Man Fined W6 Million Over Women's Toilet Spycam (The Korea Times)

Aug. 23: Woman Dies Two days After Assault by Boyfriend (The Korea Herald)
Man Arrested on Charge of Raping 90-Year-Old Woman Living Alone (The Korea Herald)
Female Poet Vows to Fight Back After Ko Un Files Damage Suit Over Sexual Abuse Accusations (Yonhap)

Aug. 24: S. Korea to File Complaint Over Chinese Athlete's Assault on Swimmer (The Korea Times)
South Korean Poet Vows to Fight in #MeToo Battle (UPI)

Aug. 26: Chinese Swimmer to be Investigated for Allegedly Assaulting Korean (The Korea Times)

Aug. 27: Man Says He Killed Wife & Three Children After Living With Overwhelming Debt (The Korea Herald)
Arrest Warrant Sought for High Schooler for Spycam at SNU (The Korea Times)
Crime Rate Soars Among Elderly in South Korea (The Korea Herald)

Aug. 29: Incheon Rape Suspects to be Tried as Juveniles (The Korea Herald)

Sept. 1: South Korea & The Question of Justice: Ahn-hee Jung Not Guilty of Rape (Asia Media International)

Sept. 2: Seoul City to Inspect Public Restrooms for Hidden Cameras (The Korea Herald)
17.7 Cases of Spycam Crimes Occurred Daily Last Year (The Korea Herald)
Abortion Crackdown Leaves Women on Edge (The Korea Times)

Sept. 3: Is There a Spy Camera in That Bathroom? In Seoul, 8,000 Workers Will Check (New York Times)

Sept. 4: 8 in 10 Multicultural-Family Violence Victims are Women (The Korea Herald)

Sept. 4: Teen Kills Herself in Fear of School Violence (The Korea Times)

Sept. 6: Man Threatens to Set Himself Alight to Prevent Daughter's Divorce (The Korea Times)

Sept. 7: Seoul to Inspect Thousands of Toilets for Spy Cams, But Women Say Not Enough Being Done (CNN)

Sept. 7: Father on Death Row Receives Life Sentence (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Sept. 9: Court Upholds Permanent Entry Ban on Chinese Tycoon (The Korea Times)

Sept. 10: Female Migrant Workers Can Change Jobs to Head Off Sexual Violence (The Korea Times)

Sept. 10: Middle School Boys Accused Of Rape & Blackmail (The Korea Herald)

Sept. 11: Chinese Tycoon Banned from South Korea After Sexually Assaulting Two Korean Employees on Private Jet (Shanghaiist)

Sept. 12: Former South Korea Ambassador Guilty of Sexual Abuse (UPI)

Sept. 15: Arrest Warrant Sought for Two Teens After Rape Victim Found Dead (The Korea Times)

Sept. 16: Teachers Accused: #MeToo Movement Gains Momentum in Schools (The Korea Times)

Sept. 17: Stars Suffer Due to Book Backlash: Due to its Feminist Themes (Korea JoongAng Daily)

Sept. 18: Spycam Detected in Shin Se-kyung, Yoon Bo-mi’s Room (The Korea Herald)

Sept. 19: Renowned Play Director Lee Sentenced to 6 Years in Prison (The Korea Times)

Sept. 21: Actress Long Been Stalked by Actor (The Korea Times)
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog

November 09, 2018, 10:42:28 AM
Reply #7

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog

March 01, 2020, 05:47:12 PM
Reply #8

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »

Jan. 9: Sex Offenders in Sports to be Banned for Life (The Korea Times)

Jan. 9: Short Track Gold Medalist Sues Ex-Coach Over Alleged Sexual Assault (The Korea Herald)

Jan. 11: Father of Female K-Pop Star Accused of Sexual Assault (The Korea Times)

Jan. 22: Human Rights Watchdog to Investigate Olympic Star's Rape Scandal (The Korea Times)

Jan. 22: Pernod Ricard Korea Faces Probe Over Sexual Harassment, Unfair Labor Practices (The Korea Times)

April 18: Woman Testifies That Jung Joon Young, Choi Jong Hoon, And 3 Others Sexually Assaulted Her As A Group (Soompi)

April 18: Show Me You Eating feces': Man Accused of Forcing Teenage Girl to Fulfill Extreme Penalty in 'Game of Slave' (The Korea Times)

April 19: Another Woman Gives Testimony On Sexual Assault By Group Chatroom Member (Soompi)

April 24: Man in 60s Sets 72-Year-Old Ex-Girlfriend's House on Fire (The Korea Times)

April 25: Soon-to-be Released Child Rapist’s Face Made Public (The Korea Times)

April 30: Man Gets 15 Years for Stabbing, Strangling Filipina Wife (The Korea Times)

May 9: Top Court Upholds 20 Years in Prison For Dad Who Fatally Abused Daughter (The Korea Herald)

May 10: Teacher Accused of Making Sexual Comments About 10-Year-Old Student (The Korea Herald)

May 15: Police Nab Man Who Impersonated Cop to Rape Girl (The Korea Times)

June 3: Man Strangles Woman He Had Just Met (The Korea Times)

June 6: More Women Fear Commuting at Night Than Men (The Korea Herald)

June 10: Sexual Assault of National Athlete is “Not Individual Issue” (Hankyoreh)

June 13: High School Teacher Arrested for Alleged Rape of Teenager (The Korea Times)

July 16: Actor Kang Ji-hwan Admits to all Charges in Sexual-Assault Case[/b] (The Straits Times)

July 17: Actor Kang Admits Sexual Crimes Against Female Colleagues (The Korea Times)

July 22: Former Ambassador to Ethiopia Convicted of Rape (The Korea Herald)

July 24: Marriage Migrants Often at Mercy of Korean Husbands (The Korea Herald)

Oct. 23: How Bitcoin Transactions Were Used to Track Down the 23-year-old South Korean Operating a Global Child Exploitation Site From His Bedroom (CNN)

Nov. 22: Hideous Criminals to be Banned from Marrying Foreign Women (The Korea Herald)

Nov. 28: Goo Hara & The Trauma of South Korea's Spy Cam Victims (BBC)

Nov. 29: Singer Jung Joon-young Given 6 Years for Gang Rape, Voyeur Videos (The Korea Times)

Nov. 29: K-Pop Stars Jung Joon-young & Choi Jong-hoon Sentenced For Rape (BBC)

Dec. 5: Two Military Intelligence Officers Investigated for Alleged Rape of N. Korean Defector (The Korea Herald)

Dec. 8: Singer Kim Gun-mo Embroiled in Sexual Assault Scandal (The Korea Times)

Dec. 11: Judge Suspended for Two Months After Having an Affair & Injuring Wife (The Korea Times)

Dec. 12: Top Court Confirms Conviction of Groper Who Was Subject of Innocence Petition (The Korea Herald)

Dec. 19: Pernod Ricard Korea Exec. Busted for Sexual Harassment, Workplace Bullying (The Korea Times)

Dec. 23: Entertainment Chief Gets Jail for Sexually Harassing Teen Singer Hopeful (The Korea Times)
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog