Advanced Search

I'm taking a break from this forum. I may update for my own interest later or just save links and material for my own interest.

Author Topic: Korea's LGBT Festivals & Their Protestors  (Read 1097 times)

July 18, 2018, 07:37:02 AM
Read 1097 times

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog: Music, Exercise, Reading, & Cults
Korea's LGBT Festivals & Their Protestors
« on: July 18, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
The recent Korean Queer festival sure drew out the extremist element of Korean Christianity. I attended the opening ceremony a few weeks ago and have been quietly collecting links for this thread. The festival culminated in a parade last Sunday (June 28). I only had time for a quick visit, but there have been some disturbingly great photos and videos shared on Facebook and Twitter etc. of the day. The event was a soap opera behind the scenes as nutty Christian groups did their best/worst to stop the event from taking place with outstanding displays of hatred, intolerance, and general sneakiness. I have a lot of links, videos, and photos bookmarked and saved to share. I'll start with a few news items and gradually expand up this thread over the next week or so:

May 29: South Korean Gay Pride Event Sparks Bitter Standoff With Christians (The Diplomat)
A planned gay pride festival has become the latest flashpoint of conflict between South Korean LGBT activists and conservative Christians, with the religious protestors attempting to book the venue to stop the event. Protestant groups have vigorously opposed plans to hold a LGBT pride parade at Seoul Plaza on June 28, physically blocking applications for the necessary permits.

On May 21, police announced they would accept applications for public events at the end of June on a first-come, first-served basis at Namdaemun Police Station. This prompted a group calling itself the “Love Your Country, Love Your Children Movement” to queue outside the station indefinitely to prevent the festival organizers from applying for a permit.
June 3: South Korea, at Behest of Conservative Christians, Bans LGBT March (The Washington Post)

June 11: Korean Queer Festival Sparks Social Contention (The Diplomat)
The event is not without its critics. Most active among them are conservative Christian groups. Such groups have actively sought to stifle the festival’s events. As previously covered by The Diplomat, the “Love Your Country, Love Your Children Movement” went so far as to physically block LGBT activists from applying for the necessary permit to host a pride parade at Seoul Plaza by queuing indefinitely outside the police station, where applications are submitted.

The conservative Christian group was successful, insofar as they were able to prevent the LGBT activists from obtaining a permit. The police decided not to issue a permit, claiming a parade would likely disrupt traffic.
June 12: Seoul’s Pride Events Are Off To A Pretty Terrible Start (Buzz Feed)
Non-affirming Christians Demand “Fags Out” of Korea at Queer Festival (Korea Observer)
Peter Daley talked with one protester holding a sign in English that said “People[‘s] body is the temple of god – not for homosexuality.” “Her main concern, apart from the ‘sin’ aspect, is the declining birth rate so I asked her if she plans to have lots of kids,” Peter said. “My husband doesn’t want children,” she replied.
June 14: Global NGO Asks Park to Allow Gay Parade (The Korea Times)

June 16: South Korea Court Rules in Favor of Gay Pride Parade (Business Insider)
South Korea's gay pride organisers have won a court battle against conservatives and police seeking to block their parade celebrating sexual minorities late this month, they said Wednesday.

The Seoul Administrative Court on Tuesday ruled in favor of parade organisers, invalidating a police ban on the parade imposed last month. Police had cited public safety concerns and traffic disruptions as the reasons behind the ban. "Assemblies can be prohibited only when they directly threaten public order," the court said in a statement.

It also noted that the organisers of the annual parade had long been preparing for the event and therefore would suffer great damage should the event be scrapped.
June 28: Thousands Gather for South Korea's Gay Pride Parade (NDTV)

Christian extremists start a fight Seoul Pride

Seoul police remove homophobes from pride festival

July 1: The Hate (Sabrina Constance)
Many of these bigoted cult members were chanting the most heinous things, some were speaking in tongues, others were abusive to the police in the area. I myself was in a confrontation with a cop who appeared to be taking the side of some of the people who had just attacked me last Sunday.
SEOULcast Extras: "The Hate"
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog