Advanced Search

I'm taking a break from this forum. I may update for my own interest later or just save links and material for my own interest.

Author Topic: Park Hyun-jung & The Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra  (Read 1124 times)

July 18, 2018, 07:38:27 AM
Read 1124 times

Peter Daley

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog: Music, Exercise, Reading, & Cults
Park Hyun-jung & The Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra
« on: July 18, 2018, 07:38:27 AM »
Following hot on the heels of the Suzuki violin scandal comes another music-related scandal, this one involving allegations of sexual harassment and general dictator-like behaviour against the president of the Seoul Philharmonic, Ms Park Jyun-jung:

Dec. 2, 2014: Seoul Philharmonic CEO Under Fire for Sexual Harassment Allegations (The Korea Observer)
Park Hyun-jung, president and CEO of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra, is under fire over allegations that she sexually harassed employees, verbally assaulted them and abused her power in hiring and promotion decisions.

Insiders of the Seoul-government funded orchestra say Park tried to touch a male employee’s genital area in October last year by pulling him by his necktie at a public dinner gathering after drinking an excessive amount of alcohol. “From the look of you, I think you will do well as a (bar) hostess,” she was also quoted as saying to a female employee during a meeting.

A petition filed against her reveals that Park told two other female employees at the meeting that they should serve important guests by sitting next to them and doing the duty of bar girls.
Dec. 3: Orchestra president hit by flurry of accusations (Korea Joongang Daily)
Employees from the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra released a statement on Tuesday appealing for the expulsion of Park Hyun-jung, their current president, insisting that their 52-year-old leader had violated their human rights. Park was appointed to head the city-run orchestra in February 2013. Her term expires in January 2016.

Seventeen employees among 30 from the management department of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra insisted in their release that Park’s “abusive language and sexual harassment” was in violation of their personal rights and that she had “consistently abused her authority on human resources affairs.” ...

Since Park’s appointment in February, 13 employees have left the company, according to the statement, which accounts for 48 percent of those employed in the management department. The press release also described in detail how Park had supposedly insulted and harassed her subordinates.

The document stated that Park had reiterated on several occasions to employees transferred to new departments that “if any damages occur in regard to the orchestra, you will have to sell your organs, because you won’t be able to pay [that debt] on your salary.”

She also reportedly told female employees to “go out and sell records wearing miniskirts,” and that they would be “better working as barmaids.” The statement went on to note that Park abused her authority as a president by revising the organization’s provision of personnel, and hiring her friends’ children or her students without going through proper employment channels.

Additionally, the employees accused Park of destroying the image of one of the oldest orchestras in Korea, and provided detailed accounts of times when she had insulted workers at official events. The statement went on to say that one foreign representative had relayed to internationally renowned maestro Chung Myung-hun, the orchestra’s music director, concern over Park’s negative attitude.

Sponsors for the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra have also turned their backs, according to the employees. The statement illustrated the sudden drop in the number of members within the orchestra’s sponsor group, SPO Patrons. There were originally 44 members when Park was appointed, but that number has since dropped to 11, the statement said. ...
Dec. 11: Orchestra’s Director Responds to Scandal (Korea Joongang Daily)
Internationally renowned maestro Chung Myung-whun, the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra’s artistic director and its principal conductor, spoke out Wednesday morning in front of orchestra members about the recent scandal engulfing the organization’s president. Chung returned to Seoul early Wednesday morning from Vienna, where he was participating in rehearsals for other recitals.

Chung discussed allegations surrounding the organization’s president, Park Hyun-jung, whose employees have accused of sexual and verbal harassment, with about 100 orchestra members before starting rehearsal, according to Yonhap News Agency.

“[I’m not a] person who is aware of what’s going on in the administrative department of the orchestra. However, the issue is a clear violation of human rights [against the employees in the administrative department],” he said, adding that “such attitude is not acceptable.”

Chung said he had been alerted more than a year ago about Park’s conduct toward her staff. “[I heard that] she would call in staff members and scold them severely, treating them without [respect or dignity],” he continued. He went on to explain that “some employees said they would put up with her attitude, but then they began to quit one after another.”

Chung added that he could not tolerate her behavior any longer and had told Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon about six weeks ago that he would quit unless Park was expelled. ...
Dec. 11: CEO and President of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra Hyun-jung Park Accused of Sexual Harassment, Holds Press Conference, Accuses Art Director Myung-Whun Chung of Staging A Coup (Classical Lite)
Tensions continue to rise in Seoul as president and CEO of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra Hyun-jung Park, who was recently accused of sexually harassing and verbally abusing her employees, goes head to head with art director and principle conductor Myung-Whun Chung, who she claims is organizing a coup against her.

Park, who held a press conference Friday, Dec. 5, denied allegations and accused Chung of starting a petition for her removal. She shared that there were documents from audits that track the director's unethical activities and listed four different cases of complaints about his conduct. At the press conference, she personally listed cases where she believed Chung had abused his authoritative power.

These statements come on the tail of recent allegations made against Park’s unethical behavior. Hyun Jung Park made history when she became the first female president and CEO of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra in February 2013.

But 17 of the Seoul Philharmonic’s employees testified in a petition that Park constantly abused them, with one male employee claiming that she had too much to drink at a public dinner gathering and grabbed him by the necktie, attempting to touch his genitals. Three female employees said Park suggested they offer themselves sexually, telling one she would be a good hostess and the other two that they should sit next to important male guests and accommodate their needs.

Many employees said she would often swear at them, threaten to deduct money from their paychecks and say things such as, “You should sell your organs to make up for corporate losses.” She has also been accused of unethical hiring and promoting decisions, basing career advancement on connections rather than merit.

When she became president and CEO of the SPO, she intended to restructure the organization and change the business culture. Apparently, Park had an aggressive style of running business that her employees did not like. Due to the conflict and tension between herself and employees, Park became verbally abusive toward them. She explained, "It seems that I thought I could use that kind of language."

She seemed to want to clarify the accusations that she treated her female employees like bar hostesses, saying, "I can't remember accurately but I've never even once referred to myself as a 'madam' [a female pimp for prostitutes]." She continued, "I can't give a definite answer like this. I should have used a bit more refined language, and no matter how despaired I felt or how difficult it was, I should have done better. If there is anyone who felt pain during that time, I feel very apologetic."

But Chung has told the mayor of Seoul he will quit as music director of the philharmonic unless Park is dismissed. After briefing the orchestra at rehearsal, Chung told journalists that "the issue is a clear violation of human rights ... such attitude is not acceptable."
Dec. 23: Seoul Set to Fire Seoul Phil Chief for Sexual Harassment (Yonhap News)
The city of Seoul said Tuesday it will soon decide whether to dismiss the president of the city-run orchestra after confirming sexual harassment and verbal abuse allegations raised against the female head.

Members of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra have accused President Park Hyun-hung of repeatedly harassing them sexually and verbally since taking office in February last year.

"In the near future, the board of the Seoul Phil will decide whether to dismiss President Park," a city official said as the city's human rights officer announced the result of an investigation into the rights violation allegations. ...

Park strongly denied the city probe result. "It is not true. It is something like a fabrication, distortion and exaggeration," Park told Yonhap News Agency. "Nobody believes my words when (the allegations) are considered to be facts just because it is the opinion of the majority." Park said she will consider counteractions, including a libel action or administrative litigation, against the city. ...
petedaley@gmail.com
Personal Blog