May 2019 Intermittent Fasting Diary!


Wednesday, May 1: It’s just on 11 a.m., and I’m sipping on an Americano in my favorite cafe. My first fast of the month is approaching the 15-hour mark. I held off until after my sole class of the day and had breakfast straight after.

Wednesday/Thursday (May 1 & 2): That was it for the day, but I have to admit I had a bit of chocolate in the early hours of Thursday morning. Why I didn’t resist is a mystery. That’ll hopefully be the only cheat day this month. Taking that out of the equation, my fast was just short of 18 hours.

Thursday/Friday (May 2 & 3): A little later I ate again and at 11:30 a.m. the fasting clock began again. Last night’s indiscretion has motivated me to get back on track. The plan is to go to the gym after work and then have breakfast after 9 a.m. Well, that didn’t happen as I was informed of a new pie and sausage roll joint in Seoul. I made my way there straight after work. My meal broke a mini-fast of around 10 hours. The fasting clock started again at 9:53 p.m. Either I ate that pie and those sausage rolls and the peppermint dessert too quickly or something was amiss as I woke up at 4 a.m. and soon found ejecting material from both ends. After a little more nausea, I began to feel better, and I felt fine when I got up at 7 a.m. The fast was again compromised. This time by an unrefusable morning latte that was given to me. Ignoring that, I broke my “fast” a couple of hours later just past the 14-hour mark. The upcoming long weekend should make it easier to get back on track.

Friday/Saturday (May 3 & 4): I finished eating for the day at 12:58 p.m. with a post-breakfast chocolate and a latte. I was again tempted to snack in the early hours of the following morning, but I resisted. Breakfast ended a fast of 19 hours and 11 minutes.

Saturday/Sunday (May 4 & 5): I had another meal after a weights and cardio workout, and then the fasting clock began at exactly 1:36 p.m. I may aim for a longer fast tomorrow. With Monday being a holiday, I don’t need to do anything for work. If I can exercise and then see a movie before breakfast, my fast will be over 24 hours. It’s now 9:30 p.m., I’m sipping on a green tea, and I’m not feeling hungry at all. I went to my office and then did a spot of book shopping before heading home for breakfast. I had considered a longer fast, but 22 hours and 42 minutes was long enough. I’m sure enjoying this breakfast.

Sunday/Monday (May 5 & 6): The clock began again at 12:53 p.m. and was stopped at 12:46 p.m. the next day. A longer surprisingly easy fast that was aided by the 3-hour running time of Avengers: End Game.

Monday/Sunday (May 6 & 7): I finished breakfast at 1:22 p.m. in the cafe across from my gum, which is my next destination once my breakfast settles. An intense weights session resulted in me feeling the need for food in the evening.  The fasting clock began again at 8:44 p.m. It’s now 10:40 a.m., I’m 14 hours into my fast, and I’m feeling hungry.  I decided to eat a few minutes later.

Tuesday/Wednesday (May 7 & 8): Breakfast was staggered over an hour, and the fasting clock started again at 12:13 p.m. Given last night’s meal and a shorter fast this morning, that should be it for the day. That was it for the day, and it’s now the next morning, and I am soon going to the gym for a pre-breakfast cardio session. I recorded my lowest weight in a while following that pre-breakfast cardio session, and then I totally enjoyed a pretty big breakfast that began 22 hours after I last ate.

Wednesday/Thursday (May 8 & 9): I had a little more food at work about 90 minuted after breakfast was started, and then the fasting clock began again at 11: 38 a.m. Getting through the rest of the day until I bedtime was surprisingly easy. Breakfast was had at home before work. I’ll eat a little more around noon, and then that’ll be it for the day.

Thursday/Friday (May 9 & 10): I finished eating for the day at 11:13 a.m., a little earlier than I had planned. I felt fine the whole day, and it’s now almost 14 hours later, and I still feel fine. Well, I feel quite tired since it’s 1:10 a.m., and it was a long day.  It’s nice to know that when I wake up, it’ll be time to eat. My plan is to have a protein shake and maybe a little food first thing in the morning, go to the gym for a weights session, and then eat a proper breakfast. The protein shake, a banana smoothie with a dash of protein powder,  broke a 21-hour fast. Now it’s time to go to the gym.

Friday/Saturday (May 10 & 11): I ate as planned after a weights session. I started the fasting clock at 11:16 a.m. which is perhaps too early, but I’ll try get through the day. I didn’t, but all I consumed was an energy bar and a peanut chocolate thing, and those were had about 8 hours after my initial fast began. I was a little rushed, so I didn’t have time to sit down for dinner. The fasting clock started again at 7:22 p.m., and now it’s 13 hours and 45 minutes later. I will eat soon.

Saturday/Sunday (May 11 & 12): I ate again after a weights session. The fasting clock began at 3:46 p.m. and stopped 18 hours and twenty-five minutes later.

Sunday/Monday (May 12 & 13): About eight hours after breakfast, I ate again. It was one of those night’s out when to not eat would make you look weird. The fasting clock then began again at 8:12 p.m. Breakfast was begun at work 14 hours and 20 minutes later.

Monday/Tuesday (May 13 & 14): A six kilometer run in the evening and some weights left me quite hungry. Therefore, around 10 and a half hours since I ended breakfast, I ate again and I ate well. The fast clock began at 10:06 p.m., and now it’s 12 hours later. I had a small breakfast a couple of hours later.

Tuesday/Wednesday (May 14 & 15): I ate again at around 4:30, and the fasting clock began again at 4:46 p.m. I did an hour of weights later between 8 and 9, so I don’t think this fast will be a particularly long one. Actually, I’m thinking about having breakfast at exactly the 16-hour mark, which just happens to be about 20 minutes before I need to leave home for the day. I ended up leaving home for a few errands without having breakfast. My fast is now approaching 18 hours, and it feels good to have waited longer before eating. I broke my fast with a banana smoothie.

Wednesday/Thursday (May 15 & 16): Breakfast proper followed soon after, and the fasting clock began two minutes before noon. It’s now a quarter past eleven, and it’s almost time for bed. I certainly feel hungry, and there is yummy food just a few meters away, but I think I can hold off until 7 or 8 in the morning. I woke up hungry around 6, and then went back to sleep for a nice dream-filled nap. Breakfast was begun 20 hours and forty minutes after I last ate:

Thursday/Friday (May 16 & 17): A couple of hours later at work, I had a latte, a peanut butter and cheese sandwich, and a protein bar. The fasting clock started at 10:49 a.m. Too early? Time will tell. I made it through the rest of the day quite easily. I did wake up at about 2:30 a.m. and didn’t get back to sleep until well after four. That was unusual, but I still wasn’t particularly hungry. A banana smoothie with a touch of protein powder and cinnamon broke a fast of 22 hours and 11 minutes.

Friday/Saturday (May 17 & 18): I finished eating for the day at 11:58 p.m. It’s now just over seven hours later, and I’m now sitting in a cafe drinking a post-exercise green tea. I exercised again in the morning before breakfast. The resulting 23-hour fast was my sixth longest of the year and probably the fast in which I burned the most calories. I’m breaking that fast now with a latte and a protein bar. More of a snack really. A proper larger breakfast will follow a little later.

Saturday/Sunday (May 18 & 19): That proper breakfast was begun almost two hours later, and by then I was well and truly ready to eat. Then three hours later, I had one of those “I’m going to eat now” moments. The fasting clock began for the second and final time today at 5:09 p.m. It’s now 17 hours later, and I can hardly believe that’s already been a pretty long fast. I hardly noticed it at all. It’s just after 10 a.m., and although I am feeling a little hungry, I can wait longer. Breakfast, which admittedly was had a Burger King, broke a fast of 20 hours and 21 minutes.

Sunday/Monday (May 19 & 20): I had a latte and a bit of chocolate for dessert, and then the fasting clock started again. Breakfast was begun at home 18 hours later with my favorite granola, yogurt, and mixed nuts combination. In other news, two friends recently finished 48-hour fasts. A longer fast has been at the back of my mind for a while now, and them completing such a fast is at least a reminder that it is doable. Should I try? If I did, it would mainly be for the mental challenge. I am curious how it feels to go a full calender day without eating. I have done several fasts over 25 hours, but I’ve never gone from wake up to bed time without eating. I’ll think about it.

Monday/Tuesday (May 20 & 21): I ate a little more at work, and the fasting clock began again, perhap too early, at 10:33 a.m. That wasn’t too early and strangely, I didn’t feel hungry in the evening and night despite an hour of weights after work. Breakfast broke a fast which was just shy of 21.5 hours.

Tuesday/Wednesday (May 21 & 22): I had some more food at work and then started the fasting clock at 9:31 a.m. Now that really may be too early, but I do have a busy day ahead, and being busy is great for keeping the mind off habitual and real feelings of hunger. I felt hungry in the evening, but while reading the hunger pretty much completely disappeared. It’s now 12:30 a.m., and I am pretty sure I can fall asleep without eating. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted, but that’s not to say I’m feeling particularly hungry. A fast of exactly 22 hours was broken at 7:30 a.m. I could have gone longer without breakfast as I wasn’t really feeling hungry, but due to today’s schedule, it made sense to eat then so I could at least forget about eating until later in the afternoon. The plan is to have a late lunch after some cardio and weights around 3 or 4 p.m.

Wednesday/Thursday (May 22 & 23): I ended up eating before my gym session – I only had time for a 15-minute run. The fasting clock started at 1:30 p.m., and I had no problems getting through the rest of the day. Breakfast was had at home, and it broke a fast of 20 hours plus some change.

Thursday/Friday (May 23 & 24): A little more food before work at one of my favorite cafes, and then the clock started at 11:19 a.m. Breakfast the following morning broke a surprisingly easy fast of 21.5 hours. I wasn’t actually all the hungry; it just made sense to eat when I did due to today’s schedule.

Friday/Saturday (May 24 & 25): Once a mocha and a protein bar were consumed a little later, the fasting clock began again before noon at 11:33 a.m. If I can pull off another decent fast, I might take a break tomorrow and maybe Sunday as well. The break started Friday night when a friend invited me out for a late drink and some munchies.

Saturday/Sunday (May 25 & 26): The break continued Saturday, and at the time of writing (early Sunday morning), I might get back on track with a meal before 10 and then start the fasting clock. That’s exactly what happened.

Sunday/Monday (May 26 & 27): The fasting clock started at 10:10 a.m., and I made it through the day at the Seoul Jazz Festival just consuming water. It’s now almost 1 a.m. and almost 15 hours since breakfast. Feeling tired and hungry, and I think tired is the winner. Tired did win out, and breakfast in the morning broke a fast of 21 hours and 21 minutes. After that break from fasting of about 35 hours (not too long), it’s nice to be reminded that it’s easy to  get back on track.

Monday/Tuesday (May 27 & 28): A snack at work as soon as I arrived contained today’s last calories. The fasting clock began at 10:14 a.m., almost the same time as yesterday. No problem making through the rest of the day, and I exercised in the evening. It’s now bed time, my fast is approaching 14.5 hours. I’m really really tired tired, but not particularly hungry. I think this is getting easier. Breakfast was pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausages, and potatos up near my gym, and they broke a fast of 22 hours and 20 minutes.

Tuesday/Wednesday (May 28 & 29): Once at work, I had a green tea latte, a small banana, a couple of slices of dried mango, and a protein bar. The fasting clock started at 9:42 a.m. That proved a little too early, and I cancelled the fast around 8 p.m.

Wednesday/Thursday (May 29 & 30): I’m writing this a few days later, so I’m a little hazy on the details, but my fast just a tad over 15 hours. With lots of work to this week, it’s been harder to put food out of my food. Food was in the past a regular part of my procrastination routine.

Thursday/Friday (May 30 & 31): My fast on Thursday began during class when I finished off a green tea latte at 1:31 p.m. I did cave somewhat just before band practice with a mocha latte. Hence, this fast is a dirty one. “Dirty Fasting is the when you have a short break in your fasting window to enhance athletic performance or to extend a fasting period.” I can’t say I did it for athletic reasons. It’s now almost 9 a.m., and my dirty fast is approaching 19.5 hours. I don’t feel particularly hungry, so it’s possible that latte is helping me extend this fast. I ran a few errands in the morning and didn’t eat until 24 hours and 14 minutes since I late and 16 hours and 48 minutes since last night’s naughty latte.

Friday May 31: I had a light dinner just before 6 p.m. The fasting clock started, but it will be hard to not have a beer or two tonight. A few beers followed and some pizza. Not a perfect end to May, but it was a good night and a pretty successful month.

Fasts by Length:


Average Fast: 19:30