August 2018 Intermittent Fasting Diary!

Wednesday (August 1): Breakfast was camp lunch, and it was consumed  just under 17 hours since last night’s last food.

Wednesday/Thursday (July 1 & 2): A naughty ice-cream, gifts for students and staff,  was consumed after lunch. Then I had a black tea latte at around 5:15, and that was it for the day. I went to the gym for a quick 10-minute run, and then home. Now 11:10 pm, and I’m not feeling hungry. I made it untill summer camp lunch was served just a minute before 11:30.

Thursday/Friday (August 2 & 3): After lunch all I had around dinner time was a protein shake and some dried mango. I am considering an evening weights session maybe. That didn’t happen, but I did go another night without snacking. The only hiccup was that I accidentally stopped the fasting clock during the night. I broke my fast at about 11:45 am with lunch at a science museum with my students.

Friday/Saturday (August 3 & 4): I was offered and ate a mini snickers bar. Such a tiny delicious little thing. It was my first snack in quite a while if such a small thing counts as a snack. I finished dinner at 6:30 pm after a short gym session. I’m glad the regular 11:30 am lunch is on hiatus over the weekend. I’ll try for longer fast. I exercised in the morning and my fast lasted 18.5 hours. It ended with a protein shake, some dried mango, and a peach tea to justify me using a cafe’s WiFi. Dried mango and a peach tea are probably not the best choices, but I like the fact I broke my fast with what is essentially a snack as opposed to a full meal. I’ll eat a decent meal for dinner.

Saturday/Sunday (August 4 & 5): A sparkling was ordered at 3:30 for another cafe stint while I wait for my Teach North Korean Refugees student whom I’m meeting at 6:10.  Interlude: While I have yet to try a seriously long fast, I have developed a strategy to help extend my regular daily fasts when a set lunch time doesn’t interfere. I call that strategy little survivable delays (LSD) or little manageable delays (LMD, but I prefer LSD.  The idea is a simple as delaying breaking my fast after some short activity be that a bus or subway ride, an errand to run, a TV show to watch, a chore to do, some guitar practice, some writing, or some reading. As I’m nearing the end of my fast, LSDs have been very helpful in extending my fasts anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours. If I’m to attempt a fast well over 24 hours, that strategy will be a necessity. Back to my day: I had a Dr You yoghurt energy bar thing around 5 pm to keep me going until my 6 pm 2-hour appointment.  Strangely, I didn’t feel particularly hungry after that, and the idea occurred to me to not eat. I resisted that because I am planning to try a longer fast starting from when this 9:15 pm dinner is history.

It’s now 9:15 am, and I’m approaching 12 hours – I finished last night’s dinner right on 9:30. My plan today is to stay home all day and spring clean, practice guitar, read, and watch a little Agents of SHIELD. I might be meeting a friend for dinner tonight, but that’s not confirmed. if that doesn’t happen, I’ll try for my longest fast ever. Writing every couple of hours might help me get accomplish that. It’s now 1:43 pm and I’m 16:16 into my fast. That’s another 16-hour fast under my belt, but I want to extend it. Easier said that done, because a yummy chocolate flavored protein shake with some coffee is calling me. I’ll do some spring cleaning first and see how I feel after that. I made it to 19 hours and 14 minutes. My fast broken by a protein shake and a sachet of nuts.

Sunday/Monday (August 5 & 6): Dinner was consumed soon after and it consisted of a green tea latte and a bagel egg sandwich. Once again, there was no late night snacking. I’m up at 6 am, and my fast is a little over 12 hours old. Considering a quick visit to the gym before work. That I did, and then breakfast happened just on 11:30 am:

Monday/Tuesday (August 6 & 7): An ice cream followed as I promised my students ice creams after lunch, and I couldn’t not participate. Dinner was history by about 5:20 pm. Again, no late night snacking – falling asleep pretty early helped with that. Made it easily enough to lunch the next on Tuesday.

Tuesday/Wednesday (August 7 & 8): Dinner was a decent sized Chimichanga, and that was it for the night. It’s now 10:30 pm, and sleep is more desirable than something yummy. Made it to lunch on Wednesday no problem:

Wednesday/Thursday (August 8 & 9): I snacked a little after lunch, but I avoided a large dinner.A chocolate milk was a necessity after a spicy lunch, and then a mini sachet of M&Ms which was a gift from a student could not be refused. I had a small sachet of nuts on the way home in a taxi, and then I ended Wednesday’s eating window with a black tea latte and a small banana muffin.  I got up early on Thursday morning and am about to head to the gym. My fast is at the 13.5-hour mark, so I’ll easily surpass 16 hours again. I had an Americano after my workout and just before work which may have technically broken my fast, but I can live with that. First food consumed was around 11:30 am again at the kid’s camp’s free provided lunch.

Thursday/Friday (August 9 & 10):  I had a few small snacks at work with my students, but the fasting clock started earlier at 4:40 pm after a small mandu dinner straight after work. A quick cardio session before the last day of camp, and then I broke my fast with a sachet of nuts about 20 minutes before the free pizza arrived.

Friday/Saturday (August 10 & 11): Dinner was chicken and two small cans of lemonade with the boss and a few coworkers to mark the end of camp. Everyone drank beer, but I resisted. I made it through the night again, and my fast was broken after about 16.5 hours after dinner. That actually didn’t feel like a fast, and it was only broken because I attended Jacco’s birthday pancake brunch.

Saturday/Sunday (August 11 & 12): I had a raspberry tea while I  reorganized sorted my solo guitar sheet music collection, read, replied to some emails, and updated a few things on my site. I’m hoping to consume Saturday’s last calories pretty early and to endure a longer than usual fast.  A protein shake and some chocolate was consumed after a weights session. It’s now just after 4 pm and I’m having a green tea latte and a sachet of nuts. And that should be it for the day. Thus, at 4:20 pm, the fasting clock began again. Can I set a world record? Ending the eating day earlier and with a snack made this fast harder. I certainly could have eaten a decent size meal around midnight. I resisted though, and when I woke up, I felt much less hungry. It’s now 8:21 am; the 16-hour mark was just passed. I’m feeling pretty hungry! A protein shake with a dash of coffee and a few crackers ended my fast at exactly the 17-hour mark.

Sunday/Monday (August 12 & 13): Lunch was simply a sachet of nuts and a banana/avocado/ spinach smoothie. By the time I had dinner soon after 5 pm, I was starving as I had earlier walked 10 kilometres in the heat. The fasting clock started again a little after 5:30 pm. I walked another six kilometres in the evening, and another four in the morning before I broke my fast after 16 hours and 36 minutes. Had a little over-night problem with my fasting clock – I bumped it while checking it at around the 7 hour mark which was around 12:30 am.  Breakfast was Starbucks, and I’m using its free wifi to type this sentence.

Monday/Tuesday (August 13 & 14): I finished eating for the day at 4:40, but I wasn’t all that happy with what I ate – the last thing consumed was a delicious ice cream!  I keep promising myself a longer fast, but it hasn’t been happening. On the bright side, fasting for 16 hours is starting to feel normal. I made it through the night, and I visited the gym in the morning where I recorded my lowest ever weight – under 89! After some weights, I breakfasted after a 18.5-hour fast. When I ate, it felt deserved and it tasted great!

Tuesday/Wednesday (August 14 & 15): My breakfast was pretty big, so I’m hoping to just have a light meal in the evening as well as plenty of fluids throughout the day. Dinner was really just a few snacks spread out over about 30 minutes, finishing at 4:50 pm. Those snacks were some dried mango, a sachet of nuts, a bio organic nougat bar, and a green tea latte. Quite a lot of riding of my newly resurrected bike followed, so a snack or a meal was on my mind before bed. I resisted though, and now it’s 8:40 am Wednesday morning and the 16-hour mark is only minutes away. A little later, I decided a chocolate and coffee flavored protein shake was in order.

Wednesday/Thursday (August 15 & 16):  After some exercise, I consumed a nice hot lemon tea. It’s now 2:30 pm, so not a lot has been consumed in the last 22 hours. I feel OK though, but I’m also feeling ready for a meal. A chicken avocado wrap was the solution, and then a little later I ended the days eating with some drinking yoghurt and a bit of chocolate. It’s now almost 9 am, and I’ve already passed the 16-hour mark. Currently drinking a green tea ahead of some extra work that just came up. Was thinking of a couple of days at a beach, but with this extra work and the TNKR speech contest next week, it’s hard to get out of Seoul. Not feeling particularly hungry, so I should be able to drag out this fast a while longer. I made it to 19 hours, breaking my fast with a snack about an hour before lunch.

Thursday/Friday (August 16 & 17): My lunch wasn’t so big, but I had an unnecessary mint chocolate latte with cream. Dinner will be small though as I already bought it – an egg sandwich, and it was consumed before 4 pm. Made it the rest of the day and night without eating except for one small potato chip. Made it through the night easily enough because I was so tired. I broke my fast after midday and after 21 hours.


Friday/Saturday (August 17 & 18): I couldn’t refuse a couple of snacks in the late afternoon that were gifts from young kids. I finished the day’s eating with a latte and a cookie just after 5 pm.  Breakfast followed 19 hours and 12 minutes later:

Saturday/Sunday (August 18 & 19):